About one month ago, I found myself on top of a mountain for a Sunday service. As I was hiking to the top of the mountain I notice the cabin below. I took a picture on the way back and thought about the men who built the trail. At the end of the trail there was a marker memorializing 3 men who died while building the trail. In the 30’s these men sacrificed their live to earn a meager existence building trails as part of the CCC. Below is a shack they used to store dynamite.
In the 30’s, people in our country sacrificed to attend church. As I sat on the log listening to the message, I pondered the ~3 hour hike up the mountain. I thought about my normal Sunday morning routine and the ease at which I go to church.
How little we have to sacrifice in-order to worship. Take a lazy morning with a good breakfast. Rush to get ready, speed to church and walk in casually. Yet this morning, I was up at 5:30. Out the door by 6:00 and carpooling with Andrew by 6:30. Arrived at the mountain ~7:15 and started hiking 7:30. After a several thousand foot ascent up a few miles of trail, we arrived at the site of the service. It seemed like a long trip just for a church service.
I’ve always heard that if you want to find out what it was like 50 or sixty years ago, travel to a third world country. On several missions trips to Mexico I met believers who traveled ~8 hours one way to their fellowship, every Sunday. If that is anything like it was like in the 30’s in our country, how little we sacrifice.
I wonder in what ways I could sacrifice and become more mature in my travel to church.
Like cold water to a weary soul,
So is good news from a distant land.
Imagine exhausting every part of your body. Working until you are bone tired, to the point of collapsing. Think of the relief even just a thought of a drink of cold, refreshing water brought to your body. Just imagining . . . dreaming, longing and then seeing the water. The extacy it brought. The fullfillment of expectation. Then wrapping your fingers around the cold glass, wet with condensation. Feeling the droplets run down a grimmy hand and arm. Raising the glass and finally, refreshment.
What a sweet thought and poiniant analogy to our own lives. Ever longed to talk to a distant friend. Then suddenly they call and setup a luncheon. The anticipation, the quesitons and the stories from lives long parted. Sharing any good news with a distant friend is just as cold water to a weary soul. It is refreshing, restoring, bringing new life to the hearer.
Just about now, I sure could use some good news.
So, it’s been a while since I’ve posted, to say the least. Why, can’t think of any. I’ve had a multitude of reasons to post such as traveling to Reading, PA and Washington DC. Visiting a medical school and a friend graduating with a masters degree. Seeing the Enola Gay (plane that dropped the first atomic bomb) and a SR-71 Blackbird. Seeing the first Cray super computer and the Shuttle Orbiter that was used in testing. I guess all I can say is I’m back. Pictures to follow.
Been told to do something that’s impossible. Well here is one that could get you a ticket no matter what you do!
Often we hear the term, “that was taken out of context.” Fortunately this photo wasn’t taken out of context, but I’m sure the owners didn’t mean it that way.
Spiritfilled Ministry – Tom Craig Sunday May 1st, 2005 – PM Luke 24:46-49 “But tarry ye here” – Are we doing the work of the spirit in the spirit or in the flesh?
What is the supernatural holy power?
- It is the means that I do the work of Christ
- It is the power by which Christ did His work (Luke ?)
- It is the means by which I do the witnessing for Christ Perform by the means of the Spirit. Acts 1
The power of the Holy Spirit is given
- when there is a great thirsting for it! We don’t feel parched and thirsty when we
- when there is a cleansing! The Lord left these men for 10 days which has been speculated that there was a great time of repentance among the disciples. We clean more for guest to enter our earthly house rather then the Holy Spirit to enter our spiritual house.
- when there is a complete surrender! God does not share our life, only controls it!
It was once asked of D.L. Moody by a jealous young evangelist if he had a monopoly on the Holy Spirit. A wise old preacher replied “I don’t know if I have a monopoly on the Holy Spirit but I do know that the Holy Spirit has a monopoly on me.”
- when there is a asking! Be ye being filled! We become drunk with the spirit by being controlled by the spirit yesterday, today and tomorrow. Every minute of every day!
How did the Holy Spirit primarily affect the Apostles? Through Their tongue! – Acts 1:24-29
- It was manifested in their courage! Why don’t we witness? Because we are more concerned about ourselves then the commands that Christ has given us. We are scared!
What is the difference in Peter between the beginning and the end of Acts 1?
- It was manifested in the convincing!
- It was manifested in the convicting!
- In was manifested in the converting!
Sometimes we say things with an alternate meaning and don’t intend for them to be taken literally. I wonder if that is the case with what “boss” said?
In case you were wondering if I had more quotes like the ones I used for the “Falling post” I decided to post all the quotes. Enjoy!
Something Got Lost in the Translation…
ON A JAPANESE FOOD PROCESSOR
– Not to be used for the other use.
ON A KOREAN KITCHEN KNIFE
– Warning: keep out of children
ON A PACKET OF SUNMAID RAISINS
– Why not try tossing over your favorite
ON A STRING OF CHINESE MADE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS
– For indoor or outdoor use only.
ON A SWEDISH CHAINSAW
– Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands.
ON AN AMERICAN AIRLINES PACKET OF NUTS
– Instructions: open packet; eat nuts.
ON BOOTS CHILDREN’S COUGH MEDICINE
– Do not drive car or operate machinery
ON MARKS & SPENCER BREAD PUDDING
– Product will be hot after heating
ON NYTOL (A SLEEP AID)
– Warning: may cause drowsiness
ON PACKAGING FOR A ROWENTA IRON
– Do not Iron clothes on body
ON SAINSBURY’S PEANUTS
– Warning: contains nuts
ON TESCO’S TIRIMISU DESERT
– Do not turn upside down.
(Printed on the bottom of the box.)
Well, checking things off of the post mcat to-do list. The layout will be in a state of flux until I work out all the bugs. Let me know how you like the new design.
These days it everything has a warning label. Hairdryers warn “Do not to use while in the tub”, sleep medications warn “may cause drowsiness” and clothing irons warn “Do not Iron clothes on body.”
Just when it seems we have been warned of everything, along comes the government!